Pizza Recipe 101 - Homemade pizza recipes
Salsa Pizzaiola stats
Cook Time:20 Minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups canned Italian tomatoes, not drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over moderate heat. Cook the onions until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes with their liquid along with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and breaking the tomatoes into small pieces with a wooden spoon. The sauce should be thick and smooth, and may be pressed through a strainer or processed in a food processor to the desired consistency if necessary.
Makes about 3 cups.
Pizza Tags:olive oil bay leaf oregano garlic pepper tomato basil onion
Other pizza recipes in this category
Pizza Recipes Mobile - Home Page
Main Site (Non Mobile)